Wednesday, March 11, 2009

The Garden Chronicles: A Beginning


It's Anna here, writing for a very busy Mama. I thought I'd share some pictures made yesterday evening while our new garden was being made. Two of the farmers from our church (Mr. Andy and Mr. David) were good enough to help us city folks with it. I think they derive some amusement from it.


First the ground was turned up in a 120' long rectangle and spread with chicken manure. The dainty odor lingers yet. This was mixed in and then the soil was disced. Today Mr. Andy came and marked it off into nine rows with enough room between them that a tiller will fit. We're going to plant potatoes, onions, and cabbages as soon as possible, but the rest of the produce won't have to be planted until about the end of April.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Greeeeeeeen acres is the place for me.
Faaaaaaarm livin' is the life for me.
Laaaand spreadin' out so far and wide
Keep Manhattan, just give me that countryside!


Yeeehaw!