Monday, July 6, 2009

Dill-icious!


Last week, in preparation of the girls coming home from singing school, and knowing what they like to eat, Carrie and I made refrigerator dill pickles. Easy, fun, good to eat, no canning involved. What could be better???

Refigerator Dill Pickles

15 small pickling cucumbers
40 fresh dill sprigs
2 large onion, thinly sliced
5 garlic cloves, sliced
1 qt. water
1 qt. white vinegar
1 cup canning salt

Cut each cucumber lengthwise into four spears. In a large bowl, combine the cucumbers, dill, onions and garlic; set aside. In a Dutch oven, combine the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil; cook and stir just until salt is dissolved. Pour over cucumber mixture; cool.

Cover tightly and refrigerate for at least 24 hours. Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 months (if they last that long!).

2 comments:

Julie said...

Mmmm...those look good. I wish our cucumbers have grown already. Are those from the garden? We went to Walmart yesterday and I asked Daniel if he wanted some dills and he said "no, I want grandma's dills" We have to wait for them to grow. I'll have to try your recipe. Have a good day! Love you,

Joy from the South said...

Carrie says a 3-year-old could make these pickles. ha I liked making them because they didn't involve canning, but, of course, no pickles over the winter like you have of Bobchi's.