Sunday, February 28, 2010

Catch-Up Time

Oh, my, I don't quite know where to begin catching up after a whole week of being absent. But since I love making lists, I think that's how I'll do it.

8 Great Things That Have Happened at Our House Lately
(how's that for a title?)

1. Our family friend was here for a little over 2 weeks and we truly enjoyed every moment with this beautiful, sweet girl. Kay, you have a wonderful daughter! We're missing her today...

2. We visited the aquarium and went to the IMAX, thanks to Katie, who gave us the great gift of a membership for Christmas. We loved it, Katie!

3. I've been re-reading A Thomas Jefferson Education and have gotten very excited about the possibilities for our family. A patient and kind friend has been helping navigate this type of learning. We started reading and discussing as we go: The House at Pooh Corner (Abby), Laddie (Thomas), and The Hiding Place (Carrie). Anna and I are going to begin Les Miserables when she gets back from TeenPact next week. I have lots of things floating around in my brain and hope to have some time this week to think about some of them and make some plans. Thanks, Shonda!

4. Thomas is learning a lot at Upward Basketball. And we're having a good time attending his games.

5. I decided that our table manners are terrible need some attention. So I bought a pretty green-bordered dry erase board and put it in the dining room, intending to write on it some different ideas that would be helpful toward better etiquette. We're already improving!

6. Several people have asked me for a recipe for chocolate gravy, which I mentioned on our menu for last week. Here ya' go:

About 3/4 cup sugar
3 heaping Tablespoons cocoa
3 heaping Tablespoons flour
1 1/2 -2 1/2 cups of water or milk, depending on how thick you want it. We like ours to be almost the consistency of pudding, but some people prefer it thinner.
3 Tablespoons butter

Mix the sugar, cocoa and flour in a small saucepan. Mix in about a cup of water, reserving the rest to use as needed. Heat over medium high heat, stirring constantly, until thickened, adding more water as needed. Remove from heat and add butter, stirring until melted. Serve over hot biscuits immediately.

7. God has been very good to us this winter (and always), providing everything we've needed, keeping us safe and healthy, and helping us to grow in Him. Here's a verse from Psalm 27, which we read in church today.
"The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?"

8. I thought I'd just take this opportunity to sneak in a picture of the lovely Ella Grace, who certainly qualifies as a great thing that's happened in our family.



2 comments:

Kay said...

I think she's pretty wonderful too! I'm missing her also.
Have a great week. Ella is so cute.

Shonda said...

You have been so busy! I just wanted to tell you again that I think you are AMAZING and I'm glad to know you. :)